Wednesday, February 2, 2011

eReaders or Textbooks?

According to edutopia.org and edukindle.com, eReaders are becoming ever more popular in the classroom.  Many textbooks are now being offered in the ePub format for use on mobile reading platforms like the Nook, the Sony, and, through an arrangement with Amazon, the Kindle.   These readers are hardware designed for reading ebooks.  Some libraries are beginning to use Kindles and purchase Kindle books, and with the movement toward open textbooks, some companies are publishing in ebook formats.  There are some drawbacks to this new approach to reading.  The most common problem is that there is no universal format for these publications.  Although PDF and epub formats are the most mainstream, different publications sometimes require different software.  Some librarians have also complained about the fragility of the Kindle screens, a problem that may not be worth the cost of repair when a paper book would simply require a piece of tape.  As these eReader technologies evolve, instructors, students, and most of all, textbook companies, will be adapting to stay ahead of the curve, but what does this mean for learning standards and the textbook industry?  With the changing approach to information being adaptable through applications like Wikis, how will standards be maintained in revisable eReaders?  Does that mean we get to add back some of our old Social Studies standards?

2 comments:

  1. Hello Katharine, I have mixed feelings about using e-readers vs. hard books. I love technology and the whole idea of being able to download a book instantly and use all the features of the e-readers that are available however I always find myself wanting the hard copy, it is like a security blanket for me during my education. I do love the e-readers however if I had to choose I think I would stick with the hard book. Great info. on your post for future use though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel the same way. I LOVE a good book, even the smell, but I am in some ways supportive of the open textbook concept. I like the adaptability of the technological format, especially when it is such a lengthy process to get new texts for new content and standards. On the other hand, there is always the question as to whom is doing the editing. What are their sources? So I suppose I am on the fence as well.

    ReplyDelete