Thursday, February 17, 2011

Human Performance and Electronic Support

Human Performance in MY Field
I hate to be such a pessimist, but given the running history of the job of being a teacher, there are certainly performance problems on which I could harp.  Now let us not be misled with the opening sentence.  This is not going to be one of those rants about how any bad teacher will almost never be fired.  That is a completely different performance problem.  I was thinking more along the lines of teachers whose performances wane because they have little to no morale and no incentive for improvement. 

In this case, we will examine Cells 1 through 3 in the great state of Wisconsin.   As proclaimed by the infamous “No Child Left Behind” legislation, there are standards in each state that would fulfill many of the descriptors of Cell 1, but wait, and then there is Cell 2, resources?  Do teachers need things with which to educate?  As we move to Cell 3, there is the big (forgive the lack of tact in this one) “slap in the face” with the “adequate financial incentives contingent on performance.”  This could certainly lead into the merit pay argument (no comment and we will not go there…today),  but what about simply getting paid?   The governor of Wisconsin is currently trying to remove collective bargaining rights from teachers in the state.  If this effort is a success, what will the consequences in the area of human improvement be?  There are already barriers in the education environment that make it difficult for these cells to be adequate in the achievement of human performance.  In light of these attacks on educators in the state of Wisconsin, I think it is quite possible that they will be hard pressed to find individuals to fill the remaining Cells 4 though 6.  Am I overreacting?  It is quite possible, but since this exercise is for the purpose of addressing a human performance problem in my field, I find it only fitting to address a current problem that is not only the problem of those in Wisconsin but for us all.  When people in any profession are not provided with the tools and resources they need and awarded with adequate pay, they have no reason to continue in that field.  The only saving grace here is that there are people who are still out there willing to do it for the kids and the greater good of society.


Electronic Performance Support Systems
According to PC Magazine, and electronic performance support system, or EPSS is "a computer system that provides quick assistance and information without requiring prior training to use it. It may incorporate all forms of multimedia delivery as well as AI techniques such as expert systems and natural language recognition." (http://www.pcmag.com/encyclopedia_term/0,2542,t=electronic+performance+support+system&i=42707,00.asp)
Although the concept of EPSS's is one of streamlining information, training, and tasks, they are not used as widely as one may think.  One of the reasons for this may be the learning curve that comes with adapting to a new EPSS.  For example, although I am a "digital native,"  I find it somewhat daunting every time my job demands that I learn a new EPSS, such as lesson generating systems, student data systems, and so on.  One company that has been consistent with their applications is Apple, but unfortunately, not all schools and business run on Apple machines.  If  EPSS's for specific tasks and professions had the consistency with which Apple approaches their products, it is less likely that each one would not be another attempt to reinvent the wheel.

Blended Learning
Currently at my place of work, an intermediate school in northeast Texas, we have adopted a new concept they call "Club Friday."  Basically, each teacher had to tell the adminstrators something they would be willing to sponsor and are now spending fourty-five minutes each Friday working with kids who have the like interest.  My club in gardening.  I think you can learn a lot from working in the dirt.  My interests asides, this blended learning effort has also incorporated data about children who may also need mentoring, study skills help, or language scaffolding.  There are clubs for these high need areas as well as outlets for those who may not normally get an opportunity to learn how to do things like sew, cook, or take photos.  What we had to do collectively as a school was combine what we knew about our students and our teachers, not an easy task.  This involved everything from testing data retrieved through DMAC to surveys of teachers on campus.  Somehow, our counselor was able to combine all of this into one grand list that matched students with what they needed and hopefully wanted to do on "Club Friday."  The ultimate goal here is that they want to learn SOMETHING, and I do believe it is going alright...

Informal Learning
I hope I address this effectively.  I am always learning.  So when asked to think about learning I have had in an informal setting, I am not sure what the best example would be.  I am a project person.  Every day I am working on something, and since I am a teacher, most of my learning experiences these days are in formally planned settings.  Some of my most memorable "informal" settings would probably be when I was working on my undergraduate degree in history and political science.  There was much time spent on group projects and class discussions.  There were many late nights that seemed to go on in debate about issues old and new.  I especially enjoyed it when we were allowed to compare the Reformation in Europe to an excerpt from The Daily Show's "This Week in God" with Stephen Colbert (when he was still on with Jon Stewart).  As I reminisce, I am coming to the conclusion that my best informal learning experiences are when the leader has allowed for thought, creativity, and autonomy.  When one has ownership, they will commit their heart.

4 comments:

  1. You have made some great points. Nice post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much Dometrius! We are all in this together.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A question regarding your post for #1...so what is the non-instructional solution you're suggeting to solve the problem? I like what you say about informal learning--that informal learning happens best when the learner takes ownership of his/her learning.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My response to your question is divided. If we want a greater yield of human performance in the field, the non-instructional solution would ultimately be to pay teachers adequately and give them the supplies they need. Unfortunately, it isn't so simple. The people have to back the solution. Their teachers taught them all they need to know to fill out a voter registration card, why not give back and cast a vote?

    ReplyDelete